Team Bio: Leeds United

Team Bio: Leeds United

NameLeeds United
Home ColoursWhite & Yellow
Away ColoursNavy Blue
StadiumElland Road
Year Founded1919
ManagerMarcelo Bielsa
Premier League Titles0
Official Sitehttps://www.leedsunited.com/

Leeds United Information

Leeds United celebrated their centenary year in 2019, and in that year they secured promotion back to the Premier League for the first time in 16 years.

Known as the Whites, Leeds got their nickname and their largely all-white home colours from the White Rose of York, a symbol of the county of Yorkshire, which the club calls home. They play their games at the Elland Road stadium, which they have occupied since 1919, when the former tenants, Leeds City, were disbanded.

The club is currently owned by two major shareholder groups. Aser Group Holding, the operating company of chairman Andrea Radrizzani, has a 56% stake, and the NFL team the San Francisco Giants owns the other 44%. 

Leeds United History

While the establishment of Leeds United can be dated back to 1919, there was a predecessor club – Leeds City – founded in 1904. However, they were dissolved due to alleged financial irregularities, and United took their place as the biggest club in the city – they were also handed the keys to the major Leeds stadium, Elland Road.

The club yo-yoed between the First and Second Division for the first few decades of their existence, though they gained international interest when John Charles, their goal-hungry striker, joined Juventus for what was at the time, in 1956, a world record transfer fee of £65,000.

In the 1960s, a man came along who would revolutionise Leeds United. Don Revie took no prisoners, and after avoiding relegation to the old Division Three, he made sweeping changes – releasing many of the club’s older players and insisting that they changed their playing colours to all white, aping the kit worn by the ultra-successful Real Madrid.

Under Revie, Leeds finished second in the First Division, reached the final of the FA Cup, and won the League Cup, earning their first shot at European football. Finally, in 1968/69, the Yorkshiremen won their first top-flight title, and would follow this up with a second in 1973/74. Revie is still recognised as the club’s finest manager to this day.

What followed was more than a decade of instability, but then came along another managerial knight in shining armour: Howard Wilkinson. He earned promotion back to the First Division, and by the 1991/92 season, they were crowned champions – this was the final campaign before the top flight was rebranded as the Premier League.

The Noughties heralded arguably the worst period in Leeds United’s history. They were beset by financial woes, and so bad was the situation that after relegation to the Championship, they were forced to sell both Elland Road and their training ground, while also selling any players who had a resale value.

They were relegated to the third tier for the first time in the club’s history in 2007, which coincided with them being forced into administration. Many fans feared the worst for their future, but after a period in the footballing wilderness, the current owner, Andrea Radrizzani, took a controlling stake in the club.

Radrizzani acquired Elland Road and invested in the playing squad, also bringing in the popular manager Marcelo Bielsa. Promotion back to the Premier League was secured in 2020, where the Whites remain to this day.

Safer gambling

We are committed in our support of responsible gambling. Recommended bets are advised to over-18s and we strongly encourage readers to wager only what they can afford to lose.

If you are concerned about your gambling, please call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133, or visit begambleaware.org.

Further support and information can be found at GamCare and gamblingtherapy.org.

Like what you've read?

Share on facebook
Share
Share on twitter
Tweet
Share on email
Email
18+ Logo

Always gamble responsibly.

All Rights Reserved 2022 © Premiershipbets